I’m glad to announce a pre-release of cairo-compmgr:  0.2.91

Cairo Composite Manager is a versatile and extensible composite manager which use cairo for rendering. Rendering can be done in 2D or 3D, using Xrender and Glitz backends. Plugins can be used to add some cool effects to your desktop.

Due of lack of time, It’s a long time I don’t push a new release and I didn’t answer at any comments, I apologize to all who post or send an email which I have not yet responded, I’ll to try answer very soon.

Well, many answers are in this pre-release, which include many news feature and fixes :

- first many performance improvement

- all dependencies of libgnome are removed

- perf plugin and it’s depencies to libgtop has became optionnal

- all settings are migrated to key files located in user dirs ($HOME/.config/cairo-compmgr), if you want use gconf you can force cairo-compmgr to use it with –use-gconf paramater when you launch it.

- a new snapshot plugin is added which provide to take a snapshot of screen region when you selected an area with mouse and <Super> (Windows) button pressed or take a snapshot of window when you click on it with <Super><Alt> pressed.

- a new decoration plugin which allow to have alpha window decoration.

- the region management has completly rewrite and now use pixman (>=0.12).

- the shadow has improved to manage better and take less ressource to draw shadow.

- the window transformation has be rewritten, it manage now a stack of transformation on paint.

- an experimental input redirection is available without any Xorg patch is available, it needs some work to be functionnal.

- an new settings dialog and API is available, it is really on beginning for now it only manage the plugin activation/desactivation.

- ccm support vala binding and it have a sample vala plugin (vala-window-plugin)

- a very experimental automate plugin which record/play user input is available too.

- API documentation is added and available here : http://cairo-compmgr.tuxfamily.org/reference/

- and some others fixes

You can get latest tarball here : http://download.tuxfamily.org/ccm/cairo-compmgr/

or the ubuntu intrepid packages here : http://cairo-compmgr.tuxfamily.org/download/binary-packages/

Have fun !

gandalfn

9 Responses to “Cairo Composite Manager 0.2.91 pre-release”

Kazuo

mars 21st, 2009 - 8:35

Hi!
Thanks for the great apps!

But I have two problem on openbox opacity dont work (but on pekwm it works).

The other problems is how I set a background image? I can change the color in color_backgound but I dont know how to set a image (nitrogen, the app that I use to set backgrounds dont work).

Kazuo

mars 21st, 2009 - 8:37

Ok solved my second problem the option is:
background=/home/kazuo/wall.jpg

without «  » (I tried with  » before commenting)

Sorry for the disturbance.

Thanks!

Tristan

mars 21st, 2009 - 22:58

Hello! I tried compiling it, and it fails (see error below). I’m using Debian « lenny » with upgraded Cairo and Pixman to satisfy the configure script. I assume there’s some other package I need a later version of, which the configure script isn’t set up to detect … but it probably be… I hope you know what package it is, because I don’t…

~/Downloads/2009.03.20/cairo-compmgr-0.2.91 % make 10:53PM tamcleay@tamcleay-mbp:pts/10 1003
Making all in lib
CC ccm-config-key.o
ccm-config-key.c:76: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘GFileMonitor’
ccm-config-key.c:81: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘…’ before ‘GFile’
ccm-config-key.c:82: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘…’ before ‘GFile’
ccm-config-key.c:83: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘…’ before ‘GFileMonitorEvent’
ccm-config-key.c:84: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘…’ before ‘GFileMonitor’
ccm-config-key.c: In function ‘ccm_config_key_monitor_changed’:
ccm-config-key.c:88: error: ‘event_type’ undeclared (first use in this function)
ccm-config-key.c:88: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
ccm-config-key.c:88: error: for each function it appears in.)
ccm-config-key.c:90: error: ‘G_FILE_MONITOR_EVENT_CREATED’ undeclared (first use in this function)
ccm-config-key.c:91: error: ‘G_FILE_MONITOR_EVENT_CHANGED’ undeclared (first use in this function)
ccm-config-key.c: In function ‘ccm_config_key_monitor_new’:
ccm-config-key.c:151: error: ‘GFile’ undeclared (first use in this function)
ccm-config-key.c:151: error: ‘file’ undeclared (first use in this function)
ccm-config-key.c:152: error: ‘GFileOutputStream’ undeclared (first use in this function)
ccm-config-key.c:152: error: ‘output’ undeclared (first use in this function)
ccm-config-key.c:160: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘g_file_new_for_path’
ccm-config-key.c:161: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘g_file_create’
ccm-config-key.c:161: error: ‘G_FILE_CREATE_NONE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
ccm-config-key.c:165: error: ‘CCMConfigKeyMonitor’ has no member named ‘monitor’
ccm-config-key.c:165: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘g_file_monitor’
ccm-config-key.c:165: error: ‘G_FILE_MONITOR_NONE’ undeclared (first use in this function)
ccm-config-key.c:166: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘g_file_monitor_set_rate_limit’
ccm-config-key.c:166: error: ‘CCMConfigKeyMonitor’ has no member named ‘monitor’
ccm-config-key.c:167: error: ‘CCMConfigKeyMonitor’ has no member named ‘monitor’
ccm-config-key.c:174: error: ‘CCMConfigKeyMonitor’ has no member named ‘monitor’
ccm-config-key.c: In function ‘ccm_config_key_monitor_free’:
ccm-config-key.c:187: error: ‘CCMConfigKeyMonitor’ has no member named ‘monitor’
ccm-config-key.c:188: error: ‘CCMConfigKeyMonitor’ has no member named ‘monitor’
make[2]: *** [ccm-config-key.lo] Error 1
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 2

admin

mars 22nd, 2009 - 13:22

Hello Tristan,

This error correspond to gio missing include. It seem missed libglib2.0-dev >= 2.18.0 package to build ccm on your system.

gandalfn

admin

mars 22nd, 2009 - 13:23

Hello Kazuo,

What you mean when you say opacity don’t work with openbox ? the decoration opacity ? , menu opacity ? or setting opacity with mouse shortcut ?

No problemo for background, when settings ui is finished it’s will be more easier to set it ;)

gandalfn

Kazuo

mars 22nd, 2009 - 18:37

transset-df set opacity, i.e. overall opacity. (I have mouse shortcut set to run transset-df). In pekwm it works.

Another bug (dont know if is a ccm bug) I found:

If I have a conky set at top of desktop, e.g. a info bar, and tint2 at bottom of desktop the place where tint2 put a icon for systray become removed from the conky. Let me draw it :)

—————————————B—- <- conky info bar
| |
| |
| |
| |
—————————————-I—- <- tint2 taskbar/systray
bottom

B=blank spot generated (instead of conky is desktop is show)
I=icon spot

(sorry for not posting a ss but I cant go now to pekwm)

Kazuo

mars 22nd, 2009 - 18:45

I have a ss now: (the same happens on openbox too)

Kazuo

mars 22nd, 2009 - 18:51

Ok, not a conky problem but the black spot stay everywhere.
(sorry for the triple post… :( )

admin

mars 22nd, 2009 - 21:42

Hi Kazuo,

Thanks for opacity bug report its fixed in git, I made a new pre-release 0.2.93 which include it more than some other fixes.

Elsewhere you can also set opacity of window with ccm, to do just put pointer on window and scroll middle mouse button with Windows/Super key pressed.

gandalfn