I’m glad to announce a pre-release of cairo-compmgr:  0.2.93

Cairo Composite Manager is a versatile and extensible composite manager which use cairo for rendering. Rendering can be done in 2D or 3D, using Xrender and Glitz backends. Plugins can be used to add some cool effects to your desktop.

Changes since 0.2.91 pre-release :

- Fix opacity when set with transset on framed window.

- Add settings UI page for plugins except magnifier

- Add cursor redirect paint API

- Fix some death window steal on screen

- Mosaic plugin click on window activate it, shadow window when cursor is not over them.

- Magnifier plugin use latest cursor redirect API to draw pointer.

- Fix some crash on enable/disable ccm

- Fix some memory leak.

You can get latest tarball here : http://download.tuxfamily.org/ccm/cairo-compmgr/

or the ubuntu intrepid packages here : http://cairo-compmgr.tuxfamily.org/download/binary-packages/

Have fun !

gandalfn

26 Responses to “Cairo Composite Manager 0.2.93 pre-release”

Kazuo

mars 23rd, 2009 - 1:35

Now my default compmgr is ccm (bye xcompmgr)!

Thanks gandalfn!

Kazuo

mars 23rd, 2009 - 1:43

I need to post again, sorry..

Super+Tab is super-mega-ultra-hyper-…-cool!!!! Works great! (Ok, I never used compiz for sufficient time so my composite effects are limited to shadows and opacity)

Sirsurthur

mars 23rd, 2009 - 8:08

Hello,

I was trying cairo-compmgr with awesome wm and also wmii and got some issues regarding the desktop which appears only with a solid black color. My wallpaper is fixed whether by awsetbg or by feh.
Tell me how to take the appropriate outputs so that you can figure out what I made wrong.

Thanks a lot,
Sirsurthur

ADcomp

mars 23rd, 2009 - 14:09

Hello ..

This is a cool project. I just give a try , and It’s look promizing :)
I have little buggy stuff .. ( settings UI , roll up/down , .. )

Quick video sample : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zky8C8SzcTA

I think when this project will be more mature, it will be a serious competitor to ‘Xcompmgr’

My 2 cents .. Bye ( and sorry for my poor english )

David [a.k.a] ADcomp

Sirsurthur

mars 28th, 2009 - 15:48

Hello,

Just to answer to my question : just fill in the « background » line in your ccm-screen-0.conf file.

Cairo-compmgr looks very good and already replaced xcompmgr in my computer. Maybe two issues that I could point out :
1-When using with « awesome window manager », statusbar is not getting any shadows. I am not sure cairo-compmgr can do much about it, but wanted to say.
2-Plugins like magnifier or mosaic uses a lot of ram currently.
Rest is perfect and fairly stable already.

Bravo,
Sirsurthur

Nicholas

mars 31st, 2009 - 1:24

I am running Awesome here too, the Magnifier plugin is acting crazy. Making this tool less then useful.

Ketil

avril 5th, 2009 - 22:54

Interesting project! If I could get a hint of wobbly windows and a scale plugin I think I’d ditch Compiz

Sirsurthur

avril 13th, 2009 - 11:54

Hello,

I tried to compile cairo-compmgr from git and obtain that issue :

checking for CAIRO_COMPMGR… yes
./configure: line 15696: syntax error near unexpected token `1.6′
./configure: line 15696: `GTK_DOC_CHECK(1.6)’

Hope this helps,
Sirsurthur

Naib

avril 16th, 2009 - 22:10

Hi, I am just trying out cairo composite manager and generally it looks great
However, I am having issues with it an my wallpaper

I use openbox and « feh » to draw the wallpaper
Openbox on its own all is fine
openbox + xcompmgr all is fine

openbox+ cairo-composite and only the area’s under my conky’s get wallpaper drawn

apart from that the extra effects are nice

Su-Shee

avril 27th, 2009 - 13:12

I’ve also tried both the tar ball and the GIT version (with most recent Glib 2.20.1 and Cairo 1.8.6) and I still get the same compile error « Tristan » already had in 0.2.91. Also, configure doesn’t seem to recognize –enable-glitz – after configure I still get the message « Building Glitz backend: no ». (And yes, I’ve enabled glitz as backend for Cairo itself and have glitz installed..)

ccm-config-key.c:79: error: expected specifier-qualifier-list before ‘GFileMonitor’
ccm-config-key.c:84: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘…’ before ‘GFile’
ccm-config-key.c:85: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘…’ before ‘GFile’
ccm-config-key.c:86: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘…’ before ‘GFileMonitorEvent’
ccm-config-key.c:87: error: expected declaration specifiers or ‘…’ before ‘GFileMonitor’

and so on…

s

mai 5th, 2009 - 9:48

is there a repo for ubuntu jaunty jackalope?

Eibriel

mai 15th, 2009 - 21:07

Yeaaa!!!!
Windows7 here we gooo!!!

Eric

mai 19th, 2009 - 15:46

Hope the progress continues! Would love to see a stable glitz backend. :)

Sofia

juillet 9th, 2009 - 22:08

Hi,

I built cairo-compmgr-0.2.93 using:
make

And then installed it using:
make install

When I goto the menu->System Tools and click on Cairo Composite Manager
it doesnt do anything

Then I type on the terminal
cairo-compmgr

It gives me the following error:

cairo-compmgr: error while loading shared libraries: libcairo_compmgr.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Plz help me use cairo-compmgr !!

Thanks,
Sofia

geoisis

juillet 27th, 2009 - 2:48

pekwm+ccm :D pretty cool
only one thing with the wallpaper :(

Maxux

août 10th, 2009 - 20:44

Hi,

Very intresting composite manager ! I love it.
I lost only 800 fps on glxgears (about 2000 with xcompmgr). Fast and light.

But, I have some problems:
I’m under Fluxbox 1.1.1 (Debian Squeeze).

- When I start ccm, black wallpaper (but conky keep fake-background-transparent)
Sirsurthur have the same problem ans fix it, I haven’t found howto with ccm.shemas, I haven’t .conf.
- Shadows are only effective on « popup » message, like screen-position/size when moving/resizing windows, but no windows is shadowed.
- I have a small VSync problem on mplayer, using gl. A 12px bar on center of screen appear.

Else, greet work !
New RSS added for me :D

John Lenton

août 12th, 2009 - 3:40

Could you get the PPA to build for jaunty and karmic? That would be awesome, as I’d love to try this out, but am too lazy (or maybe too busy) to chase down the dependencies myself.

Thanks!

ColdFeetBob

septembre 19th, 2009 - 12:57

Hello, I just compiled a fresh git clone, and noticed some issues about CCM:
- it draws a shadow around tint2: being this a « dock » window type, this sholdn’t happen;
- if « Decoration » is enabled and I disable it, all the windows and the desktop freezes – I have to kill CCM from a virtual console and then go back to X (Openbox);
- in the config window, « Accessibility » icon is not selectable (it seems to be disable: maybe I missed something in compiling?) and there’s no icon for « Utilities »;
- I have three instances of conky running in three « stripes » at the top of my desktop, with conky window type set to « desktop »; when I move a window to the top margin, one of my conky goes below the window (as it should be), the other one is above, that is it stays on top.
Cheers and thanks for your work :)

stefanie

septembre 22nd, 2009 - 11:40

Is Cairo-compmgr still under development? Just wondering, there are no repos for Jaunty or for Karmic.

seqizz

novembre 6th, 2009 - 0:57

i can’t even see preferences window with awesomeWm. Now trying latest from git.. wait for it..
wait for it..
ok, there is no problem.. (yes, a mad gentoo user..)
btw, i can’t find a word to thank you.. xcompmgr was just a « proof of concept » (!) about transparency.

dfalk

novembre 14th, 2009 - 14:38

Hello!

Nice composite manager, thanks to developers!

It works better than xcompmgr for me.
I’m using it with openbox.

2Sirsurthur: install « gtk-doc » package!

mac

décembre 18th, 2009 - 5:22

Nice :) I just installed it on my Desktop Pc and it is working fine :)

The problem i am facing is i cant see the preference window to enable and disable plugins.I am on Karmic,earlier wen i was on jaunty i was able to see it.

and one more questions…is this project still alive??no updates since march 2009 !!!!

Ezekiel

janvier 5th, 2010 - 3:40

dfalk: even installing libgtk2.0-doc does not help with the error during ./configure

M.

janvier 20th, 2010 - 0:08

hi,

first of all, it would be really great to have a standalone 2D composite manager that will work with simple environments based on Openbox, Fluxbox etc. it would make them a bit more visually atractive :-) . xcompmgr is rather simplistic and not too stable, giving me several crashes a month. so, i think you’re doing a great job here. thanks!

as to the CCM itself, i tried the GIT version. couldn’t make a Debian package out of it but « make && make install » worked well.

in my case, the only serious problem seems to be with the Xfce4 panel which disappears after running CCM. not for the good though; it becomes visible when the mouse cursor is being placed over it.

also, there’s no possibility to set the shadow offset, at least not with the preferences dialog.

and a suggestion: it would be better to display the preferences box as a conventional GTK window, with decorations (so it could be moved around) and with no default transparency (that isn’t really good for windows in focus). OSIT.

Robert

février 20th, 2010 - 6:14

<3 project. Blows xcompmgr out of the water for me. Great for awesome wm users who want simple functionality like transparency for focused windows – and so lightweight to boot.

[...] się, że to właśnie Cairo-Composite-Manager jest lekarstwem na większość dręczących nas nocami zawiłości konfiguracyjnych i prób [...]